icare Self Insurance Corporation Welcome, icare Guest | Log In
About Us | Contact Us | FAQ | Sitemap
Page layout image
Page layout image
icare > a;icare Self Insurance > icare hbcf > Home Building Compensation Fund

The Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF) provides a safety net for homeowners who have contracted for residential building work and their builder has been unable to honour their commitments under the building contract due to insolvency, death or disappearance. The safety net is also provided where the builder’s licence has been suspended for failing to comply with a tribunal or court order to pay compensation to the homeowner. 

For homeowner general enquiries click here.  

For homeowner claims click here.

Insurance under the HBCF is required by law to be obtained by builders for all residential construction projects over $20,000, with some types of construction (e.g. new high-rise buildings) exempted.

Aside from providing compensation, the HBCF assesses builders’ eligibility to obtain cover.  Eligibility is the term used to describe the entitlement that a builder has to apply for a Certificate of Insurance for home building project, and the conditions under which the Certificate of Insurance may be granted.

A Certificate of Eligibility means that a builder has been granted the entitlement to apply for job/project-specific certificate of insurance within the approved number and value of projects under construction. Builder enquiries and applications for insurance are to be made through an approved distributor (insurance broker). To view Approved Distributors list click here

For builder Eligibility enquries click here

For more information please visit the icare hbcf website.



References to builders and building work include and apply to work undertaken by trade contractors and other building contractors such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, swimming pool builders etc

Updated: 13/07/16

Page layout image